If you are a new sex toy explorer, you may be looking for ways to keep your new friends safe like keeping them away from children, pets, and guests. Protecting them from collecting dust, melting, or breaking suddenly. My troubled pass involved toys going off at inappropriate times. Devastating! I know.
So here are 10 tips to help you take better care of your sex toys.
1. Do research before making a purchase. Invest in quality products that are body safe and have good reviews. If you have allergies or sensitive skin, consult with a licensed medical provider about materials that are safe for you to use. Stop use immediately if you develop unusual symptoms and seek immediate medical attention. Cheap purchases may cost you more in the later.
2. The shape of a toy can be a dead giveaway if someone were to catch a glimpse, but a discreet toy such as a lipstick shaped vibrator could go unnoticed.
3. Proper cleaning of sex toys is essential to avoid bacterial infection or transmission of STIs. Clean toys before and after use. Use appropriate toy cleaners that will not destroy or breakdown the material. Pick easy to clean non-porous materials such as glass, stainless steel, hard plastic, and silicone. Rubber, vinyl, cyberskin, nylon, and leather are porous materials and can be difficult to clean.
4. Charge your toys after you've used, washed, and towel dried or air dried them. Do not charge wet toys. Replace batteries at the warning signs, slower speed, less powerful, doesn't come on immediately, you have to shake the toy. Get a handy dandy powerful wired vibrator (the plug in type) for back up. Searching for a new toy after one has died is a mood killer or at least an annoying inconvenience.
5. After you've sanitized and charged your toy, you will want to store them somewhere clean. Anti bacterial toy bags are great for protecting you toys from dust and germs. Some toys come with sleeves, you can purchase them separately. Keep your toys out of the sun, away from heaters and direct light, do not leave them in hot areas like the car they can melt and fuse together. I have ruined multiple toys at once. (more bags here)
6. Match and store toys with their appropriate chargers. Have you ever put a vibrator on the charger then when you go to use it the battery is dead... what do you mean the battery is dead? Well, they may look similar but all chargers are not made equally. Once you've found the match store them in the same bag together or label your cord with your toy name.
7. Label bags for easy access. Use a color system, label your favorite toys with your favorite colors or categorize them, match a color to a type such as red for anal toys, black for bdsm gear and so on, or even give them names. I know most toy lovers do. Have fun with it.
8 Store your bagged toys in a locked box for extra security. The box prevents it from being compressed and pressing buttons and the lock protects you from anyone who may get curious about what's in the bag.
9. Disguise your collection in a large locked container. Place a blanket and pillows on top to look like a day bench, or place blankets and pills inside to look like décor storage.
10. Know when to throw them out and invest in more. Shortage in cords, you have to shake it sometimes. slower than usual. Pieces breaking off, please no duct tape. I know how tempting it is, but it's not sexy and it's dangerous. I know we all have our favorites but luckily they're inanimate objects and they wont be upset when you chose a different one tonight.
Last tip, but definitely not least shop KinkyChoices.com or other trusted sites with manufacture and vendor credibility. There are so many bootleg sex toys floating around the market and sellers like amazon and e-bay source their products from anywhere, your neighbor could package up some homemade toys and try to sell them so be careful. The composition is not always known or may contain phthalates, chemicals which have been shown to be harmful to your health. For these reasons, it is recommended to use condoms with sex toys.
I hope you found this helpful, take care!